home coming

So, yes, my parents are home from their holidays in Paraguay. I accept this with mixed emotions.

On the one hand, I crave and need my independence. I love it that I have a house to myself. I love cooking what I want the way I want it. I love not worrying about time when I'm out for an evening. Well, you get the picture.

On the other hand, I do love my parents and usually get along with them fairly well. I love the unity that they some how bring to the family. It means that the kidlets are over more often and my sister and brother come for dinner on a regular basis. It is nice to have them home.

Today we had our traditional Sunday lunch - which just means that everyone that can make it, comes over for lunch. One of the more recent traditions is that we sing "Praise God from Whom all Blessings Flow" in 4 part harmony - yup, even 3 year-old Rowan sings along (actually, he even insists that we sing it if he's over for lunch during the week and it's only him and dad at the table). It was nice to be together.

Right now I'm sitting here blogging and watching "Iron Chef: America" - Battle: Offal* while my parents sit at the kitchen table playing "Settlers of Catan" - a typical Sunday night. Funny how quickly one can fall back into routine.

Oh, and happy first day of spring!!



*Offal is a culinary term used to refer to the entrails and internal organs of a butchered animal. The word does not refer to a particular list of organs, but includes most internal organs other than muscles or bones. People in some cultures shy away from offal as food, while others use it as everyday food, or even in delicacies that command a high price.

No comments: